Songs for Every Unique Funeral
When it comes to funeral music, there’s so much more freedom than there used to be. The difficulty is that with that freedom comes a broad variety of options that can be difficult to narrow it down.
If you are planning a religious service, make sure you check with the officiant to learn any rules that apply to song choice. If, however, you’re planning a non-traditional funeral, you can choose just about any music that’s meaningful to you. If you aren’t sure where to start, here are some suggestions:
- For the classical music lover:
- Ave Maria – Franz Schubert
- Pie Jesu – Gabriel Fauré
- If your loved one was into the standards:
- They Can’t Take That Away from Me – Ella Fitzgerald
- Unforgettable – Nat King Cole
- For those who love country music:
- Go Rest High on That Mountain – Vince Gill
- When I Get Where I’m Going – Dolly Parton and Brad Paisley
- For lovers of alternative music:
- Ol’ 55 – Tom Waits
- What a Wonderful World – Joey Ramone
- Celebratory songs:
- Somewhere over the Rainbow (What a Wonderful World) – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- To Where you Are – Josh Groban
- Songs of Faith:
- Amazing Grace
- I Can Only Imagine – Mercy Me
Did we leave off your favorite? Maybe this will trigger some ideas, even if we didn’t get it exactly right. Perhaps you love What a Wonderful World , for example, but prefer Louis Armstrong to Joey Ramone. You can choose whatever means the most to you. We hope we’ve given you a good place to start making your list.
At Evergreen Mortuary, we’re well versed in creating meaningful, healing experiences that help families honor the life that was lived. Whether you’re arranging a funeral for a loved one or preplanning for your own future need, we can help you plan the perfect ceremony down to each little detail. Call 520.257.4831 to learn more.